Sunday, November 30, 2008

Clap Words

Ar-ti-fi-cial. FOUR claps. For some reason I quite like that word. Sounds much more edumacated than using fake; eency weency and tacky. Years ago I remember an Alanis Morrissette song that had 'stoic' written into the lyrics. Her usage and timing stuck with me and although I never knew what the definition was until a few weeks ago when I looked it up; taken in the right context it can easily be viewed as a strong quality. It can stay. Eclectic. Can't stand the freakin' word. Y'all know I loves me some HGTV and got my monthly subscription to the 2 big Canadian home design magazines, and can I tell you that this is the most over used, odd sounding, non-roll-off-the-tongue 3 clap word I have ever come in contact with. I can't stand it. Perhaps I'm a little too passionate about a simple word...deal with it. My mother teases me as I mute the television when I can predict that the host is going to say it...it's that gross. Now let's discuss the industry of Law. I am not certain who came up with their common everyday verbiage back in the dark latin ages or whatever, but I ask you to dissect the words pro bo-no and subpoenaed. Is it just me, or do these jump out at you as being more than slightly falic in nature?!? If it's just me...alright fine. If it's not just me..."I rest my case". Okay, a wee funny. In my last year of High School English, my giant end of term independent study project was a thesis on the usage of Language when comparing the novels 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell. I succeeded horribly in attaining a fair mark. Along with having grammar way off acceptable, spelling skills just slightly better than a 4th grader, still count syllables like a 1st grader and clearly have disturbing mental idiosyncrasies in reference to how certain words affect my t.v. watching habits etc., I guess it's safe to say that I just like to write what I think. Hiding nothing and letting others into my screwed up little mind. Ashley Judd reads the dictionary for fun. Disciplinary action for some children involves reading and getting to know Webster's pages as per direction of their guardians. I should try it. Eclectic...yuck.

Toodles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home