Saturday, November 06, 2010

Parent Thesis not Perentheses

XYZ. No wait, XYY. I think that's what my chromosomes are made up of, if I recall from grade school science. So we've all heard the tired cliche that 'It takes two to tango' and of course it's the same in this baby making business. As far as actual contribution from both parties after said deed is done, well that's on a case by case basis. We can't all claim that a mother and father have raised us, been there, supported us fully, loved unconditionally, etc. One of my good friends was raised by a single mother who at a young age, was widowed with a 6 year old daughter and one in utero. Another was a single mother herself whose life was taken far too early, leaving a daughter just entering her teen years with no actual parent in her realm. We don't all come from the 'million dollar family' of one boy; one girl, who, well into their 50's or 60's only have to just start to encounter the burden to bury their parents who have lived their last years comfortably in a retirement residence. I have a cousin who I consider a good friend, and when we were at the age where pimples and pop stars were our only focus, a tragic circumstance left her fatherless. It shook our family and made us take stock. Earlier this summer, and exactly 20 years later, her very mother who raised 2 kids acting as soccer mom, dance cheerleader, boy scout leader, and full time singular wage earner was taken hostage by cancer. No ransom, no plea bargain, no negotiations. While now in her early 30's, my cousin is an orphan. Sure, not a label we typically attach to anyone into adulthood, but how many people do you know who are not even 35 and are without parents? Just prior to my unemployedness 6 weeks ago my mother asked if I could get any time off to help her out after an upcoming foot surgery that would render her pretty much useless as far as anything vertical was concerned. Who knew that 2 weeks prior to the procedure, I would be made indefinitely 'available' and have been able to be a very present temporary messenger boy, caregiver, chauffeur, etc. Right now thankfully every day in her case is a progression in healing; however it's been a bit of a window into what the next decades will bring as my parents age. While it's scary, sad, taxing and has a huge sense of the unknown, it's ultimately inevitable. A conversation I had with my mother in the last couple of weeks led to finding out that for the first time that I can recall in my adult life, and likely since I was probably a teenager, I am lighter in poundage than my father. And I'm no featherweight. I'm about 8 inches taller than him. He's going to be 72 soon. Sure, we all have a certain sense of control in keeping our lives on track, but at what point do our vulnerabilities shine through so undeniably that the grip is lost? Watching from the sidelines it's clear that the progression into old age is imminent, and there is only so much help that can be out reached; then accepted. He may be letting go, and 30 years ago he was able to jive with the best of them, even on roller skates, but ask the man and he can still recite a mean backwards alphabet. Seriously, he has a song and everything. ZYX...

Toodles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home