Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Eyes Have It

In a recent conversation with myself and...well...myself in the bathroom mirror, I took a good long hard look into my eyes and wondered: What colour are you? Since I was a child I've said they're blueish-green. I would switch it up to aquamarine if feeling a wee bit classy. Now, I know they're not classic brown; however...I'm beginning to think they might be grey? And not a nice sultry or mysterious shade. But drab. It may come to the point where I can only wear bright blue or green, cause this usually dictates the one colour of the two that decides to pop that day. When someone compliments a person on having 'nice eyes', I'm convinced this is the fallback when there's nothing else available to praise. Who has ugly eyes, really? Unless of course they're oddly lopsided, crazy buggy, or in the case of FAS remnants; way too close together. But how common are those? R S T L N E, no wait, that's the sequence of letters given to the contestant in the final round of Wheel of Fortune. E F P T O Z; these are the typical letters encompassing the first few lines of an ophthalmologists test chart on the wall. Don't even get me started on the self righteous claiming they have 20/20 vision. Do many really even know exactly what that means? It sounds like the word 'perfect' would be a better standard replacement. Vision is something so precious to us. Luckily a right most are entitled to and could barely live without. I shudder at the thought of being in the place of far too many people I've known to be diagnosed with that terrible degenerative eye disease starting with something like de-mac-u-lar blah blah blah. Would be just terrible. 1939 was the year that Gone With The Wind and The Wizard Of Oz were released. The first movies in colour. Imagine the revelation, the change in the world of on-screen viewing. The gateway it created for every device we enjoy today. The visions that pioneers have seen in their ideas and thoughts throughout history have truly made things incredible for us. Are they similar to what Miss Cleo types see in their crystal balls? I've been known to have my own psychic type glimpses in the past. Nothing monumental, no lotto number winning snapshots, natural disaster warnings or psychic detective work to speak of, just an advanced deja vu kinda deal maybe? Is the saying that 'the eyes are the window to the soul' along the same lines of 'a way to a man's heart is through his stomach'? Just sayin'. It seems that a plethora of songs revolve around the eyes and their cause; metaphorically or physically. Bette Davis; were hers so spectacular? That girl who inspired 'Brown Eyed Girl' must have been something else. Brown, the colour of poop? That's forever been my own issue though, move on. Now that I've got a kaleidoscope of tunes running in your mind behind those gorgeous combination of iris and retina you have, I'll leave you with one more as an ode to the spring upon us. 'I can see clearly now the rain has gone...'

Toodles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home