Thursday, June 23, 2011

Lesson Plan

School's OUT. For us drivers, it means less traffic for work and errands during the morning and afternoon 'rush'. Malls filled with obnoxious teens without a care, conscience or filter. Fun times those were. During sunny summer days I like to trek down to the south end of the city and spend time on our relatively clean, quiet beaches. Every so often the remnants of unruly younger folk can be found by way of empty booze bottles, graffiti painted boulders or barely doused out campfires that I can't help but think were intended for attempts at mini forest fires. This week when hiking past one of these leftover scenes it was rather appropriate that outside the circle of still smouldering embers was a three ring binder. The sign of a term ended. Never wanting to revisit or reference the study material found within. Poof. Up in smoke. I didn't mind school. And didn't do too badly. Even if I graciously 'failed' both biology and math in the same third year of secondary school. With an end grade of 25% in each course; a sort of bonus up from zero cause I showed up regularly, I was able to just narrowly miss the honour role, something I achieved status of for 3 out of my 5 years in high school. Pretty impressive I thought? Ironic that while I've been meaning to get some thoughts down into a post about this school business, a previous co-worker of mine who is now a writer for a small town newspaper posed a query online asking for feedback about the government's intent to remove junk food for purchase within educational institutions. While I'm truly not an opinionated person or preachy at all, my thoughts sorta leaned toward the whole 'lead a horse to water' scenario; but the opposite angle. While we can't force the children to stop eating the terrible food; by taking out the easy accessibility, it can't hurt. Educating them with lessons on real life consequences is most effective. We have always been and forever will be told by our mentors...we may call them parents, Oprah, industry experts, etc that continuing education and achieving degrees opens doors to a wider range of possibilities. Whether we're talking garage doors, beautiful double hung french or even mouse cutouts in the wall, I'm not certain, but know it's true. 'Stay In School'! While I have yet to take any of this advise and despite the 'impressive' results I thought had been achieved in school, without a real education I'm destined to be stuck in the loop of retail, factory or call centre work I'm only really qualified to do. The verdict at the end of it all...School's IN.

Toodles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home