Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Nap Yap

Deprived. Walker. Apnea. What they all have in common is a habit of often being preceded by the word sleep. Heck, we just add three simple letters i-n-g and the same could be said for 'with the enemy'. Oh Julia, you should have just stored those damn soup cans with labels perfectly straight. Sleep apnea of course is no joke. Knowing so many people who have had to attend the clinics with gadgets, stickies and tubes attached to then find out that they must wear a loud obnoxious machine every night that resembles an elephants trunk: No fun. Even if you look like an animal on safari. I have long been one of those people who need little shut eye overnight to operate at any, normal or super function. Ever since once hearing an interview with Martha Stewart from her home on Turkey Hill where she said she only sleeps 4 or 5 hours each night...we were tight. Joined in bone folder heaven. And to that, I'm not even a snooze button junkie to boot. Up and at 'em! Of course it can be incredibly annoying when you're disturbed and you just know that REM was in session. Well, kiss the ending of that dream goodbye. I'd actually like to know if/where the singing group got their name; is it after this phenomenon? R.E.M. is just another one of those simple, clever, effective and memorable band names. Good job boys. When my sister was in high school and I was less than or barely a decade old she had a project that included a re-enacted video on the study of dreams. I still remember watching the amateur role play acting that her and classmates put on, but can also recall being fascinated that dreams and sleep could be dissected and studied. Onto the perception that children have of life and eternal 'rest'. Why is it that we feel it necessary to virtually lie to the kiddies, and ourselves for that matter and wear a sugar jacket going on about those who've passed on going into a proverbial deep sleep. Let's be honest people; we become worm feed (or landfill if scattered ashes are released upon some symbolic body of water). Everyone wants to be validated, labeled, have a title! Those Narcoleptics and Insomniacs. So extreme on the opposite scales of sleep disorders...but at the end of it all-attention whores. This weekend I watched the film in theatres 'Friends With Benefits' and while I didn't see 'No Strings Attached', I'm pretty sure they were the same movie just re-told with different au courant actors, no? But it's clearly a relative enough subject in our generation to be able to produce multiple movies about. They're onto something, maybe. And while I attribute this perhaps to my era and thus single, non-committal, 'casual' status on the whole scene; it's really just an in and out, wham bam as it were ideal. This whole 'sleep with' mention...who are we kidding? Nobody's sleeping, and we just want to enjoy the moment, move on and continue with our day; sans bed...where sleep usually happens. Packaged that nicely together there now didn't I. Many of you know that for the past 2 summers I've spent an existence similar to work hours sunning myself at one of our local beaches here in the city. For the first time today, what did I do...fell asleep. Burn now exists to remind me that all vulnerable areas must be properly creamed prior to dozing! To wrap up my thoughts I'd like to query on the last letter of the alphabet. Why do comic strips and the like signify sleep with a few letter Z's? Is it because the buzz sounds like a snore? I'm unsure. To those of you that can relate, just thank the gentle whirr of the sleep apnea machine for taking away the freight train sound that snoring can often create. Sweet dreams. Good night. Don't let the...ok, carry on.

Toodles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home