Monday, July 29, 2013

What's the French translation for bread?

Every morning when I wake up I am reminded that a singular moment when I was 17 or 18 or so would change my life and thoughts on pain for what now seems the rest of my life. I was getting into a booth at lunch with my family and my left track pant leg caught as I was sliding in. Everything above the knee kept moving, and below...not so much. Since then I've had 5 more injuries to the same knee. It's weak, it's torn, it's a pain. Literally. I don't take medication for it anymore like I used to for long trips. It can't be kept bent too long. That's the worst. Where I sit at a dinner table is dictated by my left knee cause it's gotta be kept straight. The seating we choose in a theatre, on a plane, you get the picture. It's annoying. I try not to complain too much about it, but know my limitations...in the gym, certain activities, etc. I know so many people with real problems; constant pain by way of fibromyalgia, arthritis, chronic back ache or migraines; even disorders or diseases. I haven't developed any of those officially, but one day I'm sure. One of our big Canadian foundations that recruits for donations to fund research I believe, has a tagline in their commercials something about most of us spending the last 10 years of our life in ill health or pain of some nature. Sad. I just found out last week that one of the guys I used to hook up with last year passed away from cancer in February. So young, so active, so much to live for. Gone. I've heard cancer is painful. He never let on when we were together. Ironically his name was also Kevin. His former roommate and best friend, who I also sleep with was the one who told me, and it got to me a bit. I'm not the most emotional person, strongest, nor am I very smart. But I understand pain and loss; of all sorts. I don't know heartache or heartbreak however. I am no stranger to being there to pick up and glue together broken pieces when girlfriends get hurt. I don't think I could handle it myself. Remember, I am not strong. So maybe my messed up knee means I'll never be able to drive a standard transmission or snowboard if I had any desire, but I feel like I say yes to most things in life that I can, and continue to try and have a passion for life while I still have one to live. Pain can just take itself and shove it, or something about where the sun don't shine, one of those! Toodles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home