Thursday, April 12, 2007

Beautiful BC

Well you know I'm here. And if you know me well at all you may know that since i was about 10 or 11 I have had this innate urge that I must live here. Now that's more of a 'one day' scenario when I have enough money and gumption to just pick up and and leave all that is in Ontario for me including familiy, friends, job, familiarity, etc. Arrived yesterday morning into Vancouver and headed pretty much out right away for the Island. Stayed my first night in Nanaimo after ferrying it over from West Van and although tired as all get out, I was able to take in some of the little 'Harbor Town'. It was cute, reminded me a lot of St. John's in Nfld actually, unfortunately like a lot of cities out here there is a lot of homelessness due to the climate (I bought a guy McDonalds for dinner when he told me he hadn't eaten at all for the day and he had a dog, that was the dealbreaker). Today consisted of me driving across the Island to the 'rugged' West coast, with some scary narrow windy roads on Hwy 4, a truckload of beautiful vistas to finally arrive at Tofino. The place I am staying at for the next 2 nights is rediculous, it reminds me of part All Inclusive Sunspot/part Vegas/part OpryLand in Nashville. It's incredible. I am splurging, but I deserve it, I have never needed a vacation more than this one. Check out their website at www.wickinn.com. I will upload the pic's when I get home and you will see that the price was worth it. I strolled this evening before dinner in the village of Tofino (tree hugger central and the Western most point in Canada with the exception of Queen Charlotte Islands), bought some wine that I can sip as I curl up on my private balcony, book in hand, wrapped in the provided Hudson's Bay trading blanket and listen to the waves crash up against the rocks below. I am telling you, it's unreal. If I run into another internet station along my travels, I will send another update sometime. All I can tell you is this...for the first time I have gone on vacation and not missed home, not wanted the feeling of getting back to the city of Toronto, to my routine and what I know. Believe it or not, these are all feelings I would have BEFORE getting on the plane at Pearson. This getaway of mine is laid back, almost mapless, no set plans except sleeping arrangements and I can already tell that getting back to Ontario is going to be heartbreaking.

Toodles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home