Monday, March 10, 2008

Addiction

Are there any positive ones? I suppose one could brainstorm and try to present soemthing, however anything in excess that is classified as a word as horrid as an 'addiction' would have a hard time convincing me otherwise. We think instantly and primarily of drugs and or alcohol of course. Urges so strong, hypnotically calling the names of their disciples, entrapping them to the point where normal productive safe lives are compromised to beyond comprehension. I am intrigued by the show Intervention on A&E, mostly because it makes me feel better about myself as my addiction to food can't be compared to a heroin junkie or drunk driver who's side effects are so drastic, immediately apparent and in so many ways life impeding. The effects of my love affair with food will show one day with a massive heart attack, gets in the way a couple of times a year when I am uncomfortable in an airplane seat, and give me the occasional but liveable joint pain. I however am able to still maintain a job, a normal social life and remain cognitive. It just can't be shook. My attempts are futile, and when tried so short lived. I am back to at least 1 diet coke a day, and Ronchie Ronnie and myself have once again become long lost friends caught up at his place like I am supposed to attend daily service at a place of worship. Unlike smokers who I can't imagine enjoy the smell that they carry of cigarette smoke and I am convinced is almost more of a social 'habit' than anything, I assure you that I don't care to see the unenthused faces of the drive-thru employees daily through the golden arches. In some ways I do relate to the tweeked out druggies looking for the next needle before the high fades, or the stumbling drinker numbing the pain with another drop, it sucks.

Toodles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home