Monday, March 31, 2008

The Pain Game

Sometimes I wonder if it's a test. The Lady Upstairs trying to score how we can handle it all. We've all heard of the thresholds. To me it would seem that pain is pain. How one woman delivers a 9 pound baby compared to another, and how we all react to a simple paper cut should be relative. But I understand, the psyche is a difficult thing to conquer. There is a disorder where you are unable to feel pain...seems a wee bit creepy to me. Scary in fact. I'm the first to tell you that I know absolutely nothing about science, biology, etc. I think with my super basic knowledge that we have pain because the nerve endings blah blah blah are punctured, flattened, bruised blah blah blah, something of that sort? When I try to explain that I have an Aunt who has chronic pain in her feet because the nerve endings are dead, there is inevitably some nerd who tells me that's impossible because nerve endings blah blah blah. All I know is that this left knee of mine is right annoying. I started physiotherapy today, almost a month to the day after the big fall. I had accupuncture about 10 years ago when I turned an ankle into mush, I can deal with it. What killed today was when my little asian doctor, knee high to a grasshopper went to town on the tendons on the inner side of my knee. The man was going at it with the vigor in which Rachael Ray might show us how to knead dough to make a perfectly smooth pie crust. I grabbed the massage table with a force so tight I could have been demonstrating how best to use C-clamps on the work tables at Home Depot. I'm over it now. He tries to tell me in his best broken English, the kind where one word is to suffice a full sentence, that I will feel much better tomorrow. Let's hope. To the Lady Upstairs however who I am still certain is assimilating mid-term exams to when we break our first bone, or have fillings in our teeth done, and pop-quizzes to cuticles bit too deep or stubbing of toes, when is the bell to recess?

Toodles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home